A Whale of a Tale

More accurately it was a bunny of a tale. And even more accurately, it was six bunnies. But I’m obviously getting ahead of myself. See how my brain works? Look, a sparkly object!

Last Saturday started like any other summer weekend. Steve and I had been taking advantage of Rose’s naps to fiddle in the yard. Nothing too strenuous, mind you. Don’t go thinking we were actually working that hard. Well, Steve was. He was gingerly planting grass seed in our balding yard. I had gone inside to tend to the waking baby, and we were happily minding our business when Steve came inside after wrapping up for the day. At that point it was about six o’clock… ready for dinner.

I was daydreaming about what we were going to have. Maybe some take-out? Should we just fix salads? I always look forward to my meals and think about them well in advance.

My thought bubble, which was illustrated with delicious edibles, quickly popped when Steve reluctantly told me while he was tinkering in the yard he found an exposed bunny nest. And he went on to tell me there were… WAIT FOR IT…. dun dun duuuuuun….


[Cue dramatic music]

Knowing the Ace Ventura wannabe that I am, he knew I was going to investigate. He took the human baby and I frantically made my way through the back yard. Sure enough, I get out there and I find not two, BUT SIX BABY BUNNIES!

[Cue the most dramatic music you can imagine]


Ok, so that’s not my picture (thanks Buzzfeed). But that’s about what they looked like. Imagine six of them. And even smaller. Their eyes weren’t even open yet. BABIES, YOU GUYS. The cute factor was off the charts and I wanted to snuggle them to death.

And there it was about to be Mother’s Day, and there are six orphaned bunnies in my yard with nowhere to go, and all of a sudden I have aneurism. I was destined to be their new mother. But then I quickly realized I already had my hands pretty full with a particularly cranky human baby, so I tweaked my destiny to be The Best Bunny Caretaker That Ever Lived until I could find a more permanent solution.

I couldn’t have just left them there. If the nest was somewhat in tact I just would’ve gently placed them back in there and hoped the mom returned. But nightfall was swiftly closing in on us. There were owls! And hawks! And probably coyotes or moose or chupacabras or something! (Disclaimer: there are no known moose living in Indiana. And I’m pretty sure chupacabras were made up by acid-laden hippies in the desert.)

Since my destiny was to save those six bunnies I put on some gardening gloves, lovingly filled the inside of a shoebox with scraps from their nest, and carefully placed all of the baby bunnies in their new semi-permanent home.

Once they were safe and sound I could figure out what to do next. I scoured the internet for someone to help these poor, little guys. I made about a dozen calls and finally found a gentleman about 30 minutes away who was a licensed wildlife rehabilitator AND had the capacity to take on these little dudes.

So I did what any normal person would do: I loaded up the car with my baby and my husband, and obviously the bunnies, and we drove 30 minutes into the country, to Richard’s house we go.

Over the river and through the woods we finally arrived. I pathetically approached the driveway with my grass-filled shoebox. Mind you, this all happened in the span of about 30 minutes. I put my dinner plans on hold for these bunnies. This was serious, you guys.

Richard led us back into his garage-turned-animal hospital where I was about 50/50 he was either going to be our bunny-saving hero or murder us. Luckily, he didn’t murder us. He heroicly scooped up our new pals and placed them in a rehabilitation cage with a few other baby bunnies he already had. This guy devotes his whole life (and his own money) to saving wildlife. He had wall to wall cages and aquariums filled with snakes, baby raccoons, baby bunnies and squirrels. I told him he must really be an animal lover. He responded, “Yeah. It’s just really rewarding to nurse them back to health and set them free.” My heart kind of melted into a sappy puddle on the floor. This guy was way more Ace Ventura than I’ll ever be.

We signed some paperwork (it’s a non-profit organization, so although they use their own resources and homes, it’s still a pretty legit operation), I said goodbye to my new babies, and we went on our merry way.  I felt so relieved that they were in good hands. I was, and am, so grateful there are people out there that have such big hearts.

On the drive home I slightly questioned my decision making. We did just drive to a house in the country, meeting a man from the internet, with our 3 month old baby in tow. Thankfully, Richard turned out to be quite the hero. But more importantly, it was time for dinner.

Because my blood pressure was skyrocketting I didn’t exactly think to take any pictures. Below are the two blurry photos I snapped from my phone in the bumpy country car ride: 

bunnies01 bunnies02

I called my pal, Rich a few days ago to check up on my little babies. He happily told me that all six bunnies survived and were taking their bottles. They are doing so well! I think now we can all sleep a little better tonight.

2 thoughts on “A Whale of a Tale

  1. And all I’ve ever done is move a turtle or two out of the middle of the road. But I walked around for days after each rescue/relocation with my head held high and such pride & pleasure just GLEAMING from inside of me. Very few things makes you feel as good as helping someone less fortunate…and that includes animals…especially animals. Kudos to you!!!

  2. How fantastic! Over the weekend I also made a discovery. There was a stressful quacking going on in the yard and I had to investigate. We have a pool drain thats technically on the neighbor’s property, but reachable from ours. Last year baby duckings fell down and were not noticed until it was too late, they had drowned. This year I had a hunch it would happen again but did not have time/strength to fix the situation alone.

    So I go outside, walk to the drain, about 10 baby ducklings are down there peeping away. The mother duck barely found them twice. I called and left a rather frantic message to a wildlife center. Luckily they called back within 10mins, it was about 80 degrees outside and even though they were in the shade, they wouldn’t have lasted long! A woman came over, she brought a butterfly net with her and scooped them all out! I was so happy, and the mother duck finally came back and we dumped them out onto the grass to safety! The woman brought along some mesh and we blocked off the drain. Soon I am going to make that permanent!


Tell me what you think:

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s